Share This Blog!!!

Bookmark and Share

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Not Exactly Open to the Public ...

This past Sunday several of my photography friends (the daring ones), my son Joe, and I went on an Urban Decay photo adventure to the Henryton Center (aka Henryton Sanatorium, Henryton State Hospital, Henryton Asylum, etc...), an abandoned sanatorium just southwest of Baltimore near Patapsco Valley State Park. The Center was built in the 1920's and closed in the mid-1980's. It is now a ghost hunters' and photographers' playground. Well, it is not exactly a safe playground. A visit to Henryton requires you to take some serious safety precautions, including an asbestos rated (P100) dust mask, strong boots, a flashlight, ... Plus when you get home, you do not pass Go, do not collect $200 until you put your boots outside and your clothes in the wash. Needless to say, this is a cool place and I will probably go back one of these days - soon. I know that I missed a lot.

Click on the photo below and you will be magically transported to my Flickr photostream where more pictures live. Click on the photostream link and then click on the slideshow link in the upper right corner of the page. These are my first real ventures into HDR Grunge style photography - I've tried a little before but I think that I may be getting the hang of it ... or so I hop. Henryton was the perfect place to use this technique.


MAR_0462_1_0_tonemapped, originally uploaded by Nadia McIlhany.



Many thanks to Tony Sweet for alerting me to this place.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I bet you got lots of cool photos there -- I use photography in my journaling work, but have no where near the skill you do!
I will be back to check on your wonderful photos - and I found you from the Springbrook reunion site, remember me? I was Emily Hiebert back then, in case you remember me.

anyway - enjoying your blog. . . .